Loading & Unloading Your Bike
Bike racks are available on all Modesto Area Express (MAX) buses except those used on the BART Express route.
- Bike racks are available on a first-come, first-served basis. No bikes will be allowed inside buses.
- Riders are responsible for loading, securing and unloading their bikes in a safe and timely manner. First bike loaded on rack must be placed in slot nearest to the bus.
- No motorized bikes will be allowed.
- Bike trailers are not permitted on bike racks or inside the bus.
- Riders must secure their bikes in the bike racks. Securing arms are provided and must be used to hold the bike in place during travel. No other devices may be used to secure bikes to the rack. Bikes which cannot be secured to the driver's satisfaction shall be removed.
- Modesto Area Express (MAX) may, at any time, alter the rules and conditions of the Bike-N-Bus program.
- At the discretion of Modesto Area Express (MAX) personnel, passengers not adhering to these regulations may be refused service.
- Riders who cannot secure their bikes on the rack within 30 seconds shall remove their bike from the bus. Bike loading must not delay the bus on its schedule.
Loading Your Bike
- When the bus approaches and stops, you should have the bike ready to load, then let the driver know that you will be loading a bike.
- Approaching from the curbside, you should lower the rack with one hand while supporting the bike with the other hand.
- After lowering the rack, you should place the first bike into the rack's wheel well nearest to the bus. Both bike positions are completely independent of each other, making it easy to load it in seconds.
- After the bike is positioned in the rack's wheel well, you should pull the support arm out and up over the front tire of the bike. The rack contact the bicycle's tires only; no contact is made with the bicycle frame.
- After quickly raising the support arm up and over the front tire, you should be ready to board the bus. Bikes should be loaded from the front or curbside of the bus for safe, efficient operation.
Unloading Your Bike
- When the bus approaches the stop, you should inform the driver you will be removing your bike.
- Approaching from the curbside or while directly in front of the bus, you should raise the support arm off the tire.